Tuesday, May 17, 2011

YouTube Nostalgia: MTV's Freddy Krueger Hour 1988


This might come as a surprise to the younger readers, but there was a time when MTV didn't suck. There was a time when they had their finger on the pulse of youth culture, not just teenybopper culture. There was a time when the M standing for Music wasn't ironic. Yes, they used to show music videos. A lot of them. They also did promotional events, letting celebrities with something to plug be a guest VJ. Oh, sorry, I forgot... that means Video Jockey kids. Anyway, on August 20, 1988, MTV was taken over my a notorious, disfigured, terrifying child victimizing pedophile monster. This wasn't really anything new, they had been airing Michael Jackson videos for years, but this time was different. This time that monster was the Son of 100 Maniacs himself, Freddy Krueger. It was right before Nightmare on Elm Street 4 came out. Freddy took over MTV for an hour, showing videos and terrorizing the VJ's. I remember seeing pieces of this as a kid, before I had ever seen any of the Elm Street flicks. They also replayed this around Halloween for a few years. I've always wanted to see this in it's entirety. Imagine my surprise when, while looking on youtube for clips for the Freddy's Nightmares reviews, I ran across this. It's in five parts, but I couldn't resist sharing it with you guys. This one's for all the 80's/90's kids out there. Enjoy!



For some reason, embedding has been disabled for part 2, so here's a link:

MTV's Freddy Krueger Hour 1988 (Part 2 of 5)







Here's a link to part 5. I know, I don't get it either:

MTV's Freddy Krueger Hour 1988 (Part 5 of 5)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...